Utbyteskorrespondenterna

En blogg om att vara utbytesstudent runt om i världen.

fredag 28 mars 2008

Different law studies in Sweden


The Swedish students that I have met have no anxiety about getting a job when they leave university, as there seem to be a great system in Sweden that ensures universities and industry/commerce are in close contact. This is very different from the UK, writes Ross Law, exchange student in Lund.


During my time at Lund University, I have always made sure that I get the very best out of my time here. I have therefore learned a lot about Swedish culture, its people, its education and general way of life. Even though I am studying law, which is typically a very demanding degree, I have found that the choice of courses, the hours of lectures and the method of learning is very different compared to Edinburgh. Swedish students are encouraged to discover how they work best, and take courses which interest them most, therefore allowing them to enjoy their studies and get the most out of their time at law school. At my home university we must take compulsory courses for 2 years along with long days sat in lecture theatres and an unhealthy amount of examinations (11 exams last year).


What has been surprising about Lund has been the housing. AFB, a non-profit organisation set up to manage student accommodation provides comfortable, affordable, student housing for both Swedish and exchange students. This means costs are low, approximately a third of the price in Edinburgh, and students are encouraged to interact with a range of people on a day-to-day basis.
Food and drink however is generally much more expensive. I have found myself spending much more on weekly groceries than I would normally do at home. The student "nations" makes partying not as expensive, but the government owned "Systembolaget" means cheap alcohol is hard to come by.


The Swedes themselves are great people. They are often viewed as quite reserved, but once you introduce yourself, they are very open and extremely friendly. Their English is fluent, which only acts to demonstrate native English speakers’ arrogance towards learning a second language. I think that through their many years of study, Swedes enter the job market more mature than their counterparts in the UK, with a greater perspective on the world and more experiences to bring to working life. The Swedish students that I have met have no anxiety about getting a job when they leave university, as there seem to be a great system in Sweden that ensures universities and industry/commerce are in close contact. This is very different from the UK, as often there is an incredible demand for graduate jobs. It is quite often the case that companies will only employ graduates who have worked with them during a summer internship.


I have heard that Swedish springtime is a great time of year, so I look forward to updating you on my experiences soon.


Ross Law

0 kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Prenumerera på Kommentarer till inlägget [Atom]

<< Startsida